[kwlug-disc] VPN Traffic

Gordon Dey gordon.dey at happydeys.ca
Sun Aug 15 19:42:45 EDT 2021

On 2021-08-15 9:47 a.m., Jon Thiele wrote:
> Anyone using a VPN service without issues?

I was using a "full-tunnel" vpn for a while. What that means is it sets
itself as your default route, so that dns, ntp, and of course http(s)
traffic goes over the vpn. That caused me problems with accessing my
local servers by internal name (split horizon dns).

I modified the configuration to one of a split tunnel, so that I only
route traffic of the vpn tunnel if the destination address matches the
remote network range. That broke my remote name lookup, but I have a
small set of remote hosts that I need, so I added them to the /etc/hosts
file and called it a day.

Hope that helps

Gord