[kwlug-disc] Git study group at KPL

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sat Aug 14 09:40:46 EDT 2021

This is how I use git: https://xkcd.com/1597/

I'm serious. For my own git repos, there is a master repo in a known good state (usually on github), and any work I do is in a clone. I frequently push changes from the clone (working repo) to the master repo, so I don't have more than a day's work accumulated. If the clone gets screwed up beyond repair, then I create a new clone from the master, copy any active changes from the damaged clone to the new clone, delete the damaged clone, and proceed from there.

I've been using git since 2016. Since I only use a tiny subset, it's now rare for me to screw up. Nowadays, submodules are the main thing that can damage a git repo badly enough to delete it.

Doug.