[kwlug-disc] 40 years ago?

Mark Steffen mark at steffen.ca
Thu Aug 12 10:50:12 EDT 2021

First PC was a TRS-80 Coco2 in around 1982/3 I think.  I regret not
getting into OS9 now I think it would have been up my alley. Eventually
got a C64 in 85, an Amiga in 88, a PC in 89 (I wanted to run a multiple
phone line BBS and it seemed the best path forward to that was
Galacticomm MajorBBS on x86).  Also in 89 I got my introduction to SCO
Xenix at a summer job between gr8 and 9 porting some WANG BASIC+Btrieve
software to compiled MS Basic + ISAM on Xenix, one 386 as a 'server' and
we all worked on Wyse terminals, it was glorious.  After Xenix I
realized there was a LOT PCs could do ... begged parents for a copy of
Coherent Unix (Mark Williams Company) for Christmas a year later, no
dice, and then of course I discovered Linux in, I think 91... SLS
"distro" iirc, parents freaked out about the phone bill to download the
14 or 15 floppies worth from a seattle public access unix system
(luckily I at least had a USR Dual Standard 14.4k modem lol)... those
were the days!