[kwlug-disc] Topics I'd like to see...

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Aug 11 11:08:54 EDT 2021

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 07:32:46AM -0400, Jason Eckert wrote:
>I could probably do a presentation that demystifies that stuff at a high
>level if people are interested in that.
>
>While I don't consider myself an expert in any of it, I've deployed K8S in
>production (both public & private cloud) as well as deployed OpenShift, and
>created terrible CI/CD workflows that have improved over time due to random
>fiddling (i.e. the SRE stuff).

I'm interested in the practical details.

After doing some experiments with containers, they seem neat from a
packaging and deployment point of view. I'm sold that they can be
beneficial.

But...

But how is the lifecycle supposed to be managed? How are you supposed to
verify all your containers are up to date, and/or even verify the up to
date container has proper security patches installed?

It seems like it's one step forward for packaging apps with weird or
intricate dependencies, but two steps backwards in terms of
infrastructure management.

 From people I've spoken to, the "solution" seems to be "only use
containers you made yourself", and "have your CI infrastructure rebuild
them every night to ensure they're up to date", which seems like
massively more work compared to running `dnf upgrade`

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
  xmpp:   chris at chrisirwin.ca