[kwlug-disc] NVME failure?

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Fri Aug 6 00:17:07 EDT 2021

> Backblaze, which operates a vast amount of disks, has a block on SSD
> failures. One of the symptoms is "the computer would not boot", which
> is similar to what I saw (NVMe device not recognized by the kernel).
>
> https://www.backblaze.com/blog/ssd-troubleshooting/

ZFS all storage parts?

On NVME note. I went retro. My retro Phenom II box already has a pcie
v2. PCIe to m.2 cards advertise that they handle pcie v3, but in finer
print they also work on pcie v2 host, 4 lanes. Add an nvme stick with
what looks like one flash chip (my life fits there), and it flies
relative to sata3. Little benchmark in Disks gui program shows it up in
1600MB/sec range, while sata3 is 600. Definitely nice update, similar to
going ssd as a way to speedup retro box(es).

Retro motherboard doesn't load from nvme, of course. So, boot partition
sits on OCZ sata2, 30GB, the very first system drive used in this box.