[kwlug-disc] Awesome laptop concept

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Aug 1 00:08:35 EDT 2021

William,

> - When I configure on the website, I can see the letter and number
> keys.  But, there are many blank keys.  Do you have to configure them
> yourself?

You can configured all the keys, and the default layout from the website
does configure a bunch of the blank keys. I have just used the default
config and found it fine for me.

One thing I don't love is the blank keys. It would be great to get
correctly labelled keycaps for them, but I have not bothered to put in
the time or money to do it. ZSA says that it should be easy and they do
provide a tool to do it.

> - How long did it take you to get used to its layout?

Regular typing was OK but slow right away, and finding non-alphanumeric
keys took a little longer to get used to. I was definitely back up to
speed in a month. Maybe faster but it was not long enough in the past I
do not remember exactly. :)

I printed out the keyboard map and then did some typing tutorials. Both
of those things helped a lot.

Andrew

(P.S.:
For everyone else their configuration page is here
  https://configure.zsa.io/
The keyboard that we are talking about is the "ErgodoxEZ".
)