[kwlug-disc] laptops with Linux preinstalled

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Wed Sep 23 19:53:51 EDT 2020

My understanding of Lenovo's Linux strategy:
 * Ubuntu and Fedora should just work, using the stock distro. (In my case, with AMD Ryzen, I'll still need to upgrade the kernel.) This is different from Dell's support on XPS where they ship a custom modified version of Ubuntu.
 * The same hardware is shipped for both Windows and Linux preloaded OS, also unlike Dell. Alas, this means no CoreBoot support. But it is still a net positive for the ecosystem. You can wipe Windows and install Linux on any Linux-supported model without checking that you have the incredibly rare Linux variant of the hardware in hand. You don't have the issue (seen with Dell) where the Linux version of the laptop you want isn't available in Canada. (This is why I was unable to consider buying a 2020 Dell XPS 13.)
 * Lenovo is leaning on their hardware partners to provide Linux drivers for the devices that Lenovo installs in its laptops, and they avoid using hardware where the manufacturer refuses to support Linux. You will use LVFS on Linux to update your device firmware (eg, instead of booting into Windows to do this).
 * Lenovo provides tech support for Linux-certified laptops running Linux.