[kwlug-disc] Local linux friendly PC vendors

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Fri Nov 27 14:33:12 EST 2020

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 02:02:37PM -0500, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
>40 go to the manufacturer's website,
>50 go to the Support section, and see what drivers they offer.
>60 If no drivers offered, GOTO 10.

Unless it is *very* particular hardware, I don't do any of that. If it
doesn't have mainline support, I'm not interested. The last thing I want
is to get some vendor-supplied blob with unclear licensing compiled
against kernel 3.10 for RHEL 7 support. Or my system doesn't boot
because the dkms package failed to build after a kernel upgrade.

The only time recently I've bought hardware without mainline support was
my GPUs, and that was simply because it hadn't been merged yet.

As for laptops, it's hard to beat the reliability and value of a used
thinkpad.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca