[kwlug-disc] BigBlueButton phone bridge

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri May 22 12:29:14 EDT 2020

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 09:05:25AM -0400, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc wrote:

> > I would like to set up a phone bridge for the webconference.kwlug.org
> > BigBlueButton server. This requires a phone number that makes a SIP
> > call into the BBB server.
> >
> > For our workplace BBB server I was able to convince work to pay for a
> > VoIP.ms DID, but I won't be able to pull that trick for the KWLUG
> > server. We do have one KWLUG member who has very slow Internet and
> > would like to connect by phone.
> >
> > I am thinking that nobody gives away phone bridges for free. Is this
> > correct? If so, do we have any willingness to fundraise for this
> > service? Does anybody have a VoIP DID they could donate? The twist is
> > that a few other groups have also been using the KWLUG BBB server, so
> > some of them might also be connecting by phone.
>
> Can we arrange turning on phone access only for a period of KWLUG meeting?
>
> This way, if someone donates a couple hours a month, there will be a strict
> ensurance that generosity won't get accedentily overrun.

Yes, but not trivially.

The issue is that you specify the phone bridge number in the BBB
configuration. That is used for all meetings, not just the KWLUG room.
So enabling and disabling the phone bridge means switching back and
forth. This is doable with Salt configuration, but I have not written
that Salt configuration yet.

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org