[kwlug-disc] Apache vhosts as different users

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Mon May 18 23:12:52 EDT 2020

I think it's more complicated when using fpm, because fpm is a usually
a different server than apache, though you did say "php-fpm module"
which implies running fpm inside apache.

If fpm is running as a separate process, I think you'll need to run one
fpm instance for each distinct user.  Should be easy enough to run a
separate fpm process for the one new application.

I don't use fpm for php7 - I use the remi repository php module on centos.

I use mpm-itk on centos - I think it's libapache2-mpm-itk on ubuntu,
as you observed.

    <VirtualHost *:80>
    AssignUserID exampleuser examplegroup
    ServerName www.example.com
    ... and so on

Create a user and group for each site (or group of sites), set each
VirtualHost with AssignUserID as appropriate.

If you want to be able to run as different users, I think you need
separate apache processes, not just threads, though I'm thread-ignorant,
so I may be wrong.

I think mpm-itk is likely your best option, without going to containers
or virtual machines.

Hope that helps - cheers

John