[kwlug-disc] FOSS Video Chat apps reviewed

jason.eckert jason.eckert at gmail.com
Mon May 18 13:34:58 EDT 2020

I'll echo that too. Last Thursday I experienced my first large-ish Jitsi meeting with another group and I was shocked as how polished everything was. Sent from my Samsung device running Android (basically Linux in drag)
-------- Original message --------From: Ron Singh <ronsingh149 at gmail.com> Date: 2020-05-18  12:44  (GMT-05:00) To: KWLUG discussion <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] FOSS Video Chat apps reviewed Nice article, good information.My 2 cents: About 2 years ago when I started looking for a replacement for Skype, I played with a few video conf apps including Jitsi. It was not a resounding success for me, really high CPU needs of 85% on my lowly 2nd Gen i5 Thinkpad, jittery video and some audio drops.Today however, Jitsi is so much more -- CPU is down to the 35% mark on the same laptop, the installed app has a ton of settings to tweak and is stable to a fault. I have been using it with my clan dispersed throughout Ontario, the US and the UK, No drops, excellent video/audio synch.I still have to use the closed Zoom and Webex for work-related stuff, but am standing on the street corner pushing Jitsi whenever I can.The link for the apps are here --https://desktop.jitsi.org/Main/DownloadIn terms of quality of experience with groups of 6-12, Zoom still winds hands down, but Jitsi is so so close; give it a couple of upgrade cycles and I think it will be there. Hats off to the folks at Jitsi!Thanks,Ron S.On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 11:16 AM CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com> wrote:For those of us still keeping an ear out for FOSS video chat apps..  five of them are reviewed here:https://opensource.com/article/20/5/open-source-video-conferencing