[kwlug-disc] disabling systemd-resolved

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue May 5 18:06:54 EDT 2020

So I was listening to the latest meeting podcast, and it was mentioned
how systemd-resolved gets in the way when it comes to DNS and
/etc/resolv.conf.

I've had my share of frustration with this too.  But pleasantly, when I
installed Debian Buster XFCE4 on my laptop, there was a glorious situation
where systemd still worked, but systemd-resolved did not.

On my system, there are 3 network setups:

	1) network-manager - this is what I use mainly, and it sets up
		my wifi on boot... systemd appears to start this first

	2) interfaces networking - this is a left over and isn't really used
		except for setting up localhost.  It does have a config
		for eth0, which fails, since the kernal names it differently,
		so systemd reports a failure to start up networking.service
		on boot, but nothing bad happens otherwise.

	3) dnsmasq is installed and started by systemd on boot.

systemctl status systemd-resolved shows:

● systemd-resolved.service - Network Name Resolution
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-resolved.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-resolved.service.d
           └─resolvconf.conf
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:systemd-resolved.service(8)
           https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/resolved
           https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-network-configuration-managers
           https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-resolver-clients

And systemctl status systemd-networkd shows:

● systemd-networkd.service - Network Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:systemd-networkd.service(8)

Perhaps it is as simple as running:

	systemctl disable systemd-resolved

or even:

	systemctl mask systemd-resolved

and running your own resolv.conf setup instead.

Thought I'd share my fortuitous setup in case it helps others.

- Chris