[kwlug-disc] Videoconference testing -- please help

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Mar 17 21:43:41 EDT 2020

Thanks to Jon, Ron Singh, and Mikalai for helping me test things out.

I think we determined that Jitsi and Nextcloud talk are not ideal. Ron
was correct that the application takes a LOT of CPU on the client
side. On my old netbook I could not get any audio. Screen sharing did
not really work. Ron was also unable to hear anything we were saying,
even though he had his microphone and webcam shared.

We also tried the demo server of BigBlueButton and that worked much
better for us. Audio worked for everybody. BBB deals with PDFs really
well. However, screen sharing did not work (which may have been
resource limitations on the server).

The next steps are to see whether I can make an in-house BBB server
work, and test it on that. Otherwise we may just try the demo BBB
server for our meeting.

There are a couple of other options, but I am not sure how much
effort I will put into them. I think Rocket.Chat might be using Jitsi
as well. There is an Apache project called OpenMeetings which might be
worth a shot, but it is ugly. (My bandwidth for dealing with this is
also somewhat limited.)

- Paul