[kwlug-disc] FLOSS-friendly, usable webconferencing

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Mar 15 23:45:45 EDT 2020

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:13:19AM -0700, Ronald Barnes wrote:
> Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote on 2020-03-14 6:32 a.m.:
>
> >Say (not so hypothetically) that we were going to virtualize the next
> >few LUG meetings. Is there a videoconferencing solution that is
> >relatively FLOSS-friendly and does not suck?
>
> NextCloud has a "Talk" application that supports audio / video, text (not
> SMS text) chat, and desktop sharing.
>

> I have only played with "Talk" briefly because I have no one to conference
> with.
>
> Would be willing to set up an instance on kwvoip.ca if anyone wants to give
> it a trial.

Yes please.

Having a solution where you do not need a NextCloud
username and password would be even more helpful. (Having one password
that everybody uses to access the stream is okay, but I do not want to
be making a lot of user accounts.)

I am also looking into some of the other options on this thread.
Finding some solution that can handle 30 simultaneous connections is
going to be key. LibrePlanet used jitsi + icecast, which might be
another option to explore.

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org