[kwlug-disc] Case for having configurations under version control and a config push tool

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Wed Mar 4 19:02:48 EST 2020

I want to share my experience. I debug connectivity, cause some systems
can't connect to my apt cache server.

a) I make change in a firewall on one machine -- no result.

b) I make change in a firewall on another machine -- no result.

c) I remove change (b).

d) I try adding a route in one place -- no result.

e) I remove one route and add another in the same file -- thing works, yey!

At this point I simply look back at all changes done, thank you git, and
notice that change (a) is not reversed, potentially making a hole in a
firewall. I remove change (a).

Git helps to look back when dust settles after debugging. And of course,
it is easier to have one folder with all changes that are pushed
everywhere, potentially to many systems (yey to SaltStack and other such
config pushing/applying systems).

I rest my case. And I look at you, Paul, :) hoping to convert you to
git, since you already use salt.

Cheers.

By the way, may be someone wants to talk about routing, with examples. :)