[kwlug-disc] Trace spam email back to source

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Jun 30 13:31:54 EDT 2020

Based on the headers, I think it is probable that somebody broke into
your friend's account, and is using the web interface to send spams to
the contact list. This is worse than Doug's scenario of addresses
being harvested.

Your friend might be able to find evidence of this in his sent mail.
Regardless he should treat his email account as compromised. If he
can, he should probably log into his account and change his password
(and set up two-factor auth?) right away. If your friend has reused
that password on any other accounts, those passwords need to be
changed right away as well.

- Paul

Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Blog: http://pnijjar.freeshell.org