[kwlug-disc] Trace spam email back to source

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jun 30 11:19:03 EDT 2020

Yes, it is sad ...

A while back, I started putting examples of scam emails on my web site, as
a warning.

https://baheyeldin.com/technology/technology-in-society/internet-scams-and-fraud.html

The sadder thing is that people mistake my site for other people, from
Cairo hotels, the Library of Alexandria, all the way to the Sultan of Brunei

https://baheyeldin.com/technology-in-society/mistaken-identity-how-some-people-confuse-my-site-for-others.html

I got many emails about people who have actually paid scammers for lottery
winnings or other scams, and asking what to do next. Convincing them that
they have been a victim of a scam is painful. Many of them are from poor
countries and have borrowed to pay insurance/bank/taxes/courier fees in the
hope of getting more money ...

With social media, and friends posting things without basic fact checking,
it has become even worse, and more of a futile effort ... not outright
money scams, but scams in other aspects of life ...