[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu LTS future

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jun 27 18:58:56 EDT 2020

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 6:17 PM Ron Singh <ronsingh149 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most questions re: the Snap Store towards Alan Pope(Ubuntu Community Mgr)
> can be characterized as softballs lobbed feebly with a look of
> embarrassment.

That is fine.
He represents a corporation, and their mission is to make money.

The issue is not implementing something non-free or commercial. The issue
is eliminating choice, and forcing users towards a solely proprietary way
of installing software.

If they make it optional, then they can do their own thing whichever way
they want, and sell it to paying customers on its merits. The rest of us
can uninstall it (like I did) and continue with their day as usual.

If not, then users will start to abandon the Ubuntu ecosystem.