[kwlug-disc] Salt master. Was it updated after this spring fallout?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 25 20:50:54 EDT 2020

Yes, that is correct, but it is suboptimal for me. Debian and Ubuntu
are supposed to provide a stable basis which I can use to deploy
servers. The version of Salt on Ubuntu 18.04 is 2017.7.4. The Salt
people no longer support that version in their repos, and they do not
have an LTS-like policy. AFAIK they support their current release and the
past one, and that is it.

2017.7.4 has a few things I miss out of current Salt, but having that
stable basis is helpful so that my scripts don't all break when I try
to do a security upgrade. The philosophy of Debian Stable and Ubuntu
LTS is that security upgrades should not break functionality. In this
new awful world, this is no longer true.

We can fight about whether it is better to use a rolling release
system or an LTS-type system. This is a big debate, and I do not think
we have a clear winner.

Clearly LTS is losing, which means a lot more cognitive burdens for
sysadmins -- but at the same time Salt (and many other projects) that
use the rolling release "move fast and break things" approach depend
upon a stable Ubuntu onto which they can build THEIR software. They
just don't want the people USING Salt to have the same experience.
There is some kind of disconnect here.

In this case the situation is worse. Ubuntu included the
salt-master in its LTS release. Ubuntu 18.04 is still supported. But
the LTS release promise is now broken, because if somebody installs
Salt from the Ubuntu repos they will get software with a level 10 CVE.

Unfortunately, I think this means I ought to track upstream and use
their repos, which is another administrative headache I wanted to
avoid. It also means that I would now need to upgrade all my minions to
track the latest release, and who knows what that will break.

- Paul