[kwlug-disc] Mouse waking up laptop from sleep

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jun 23 13:49:15 EDT 2020

Here is another discovery: a problem, and its solution ...

The new (to me) laptop was waking up from sleep whenever the wireless mouse
was moved. That was very annoying.

The solution is to disable wakeup for that specific device. To do this, I
have a small script, and I invoke it on boot from cron.

#!/bin/sh
# Disable wakeup from suspend on wireless mouse moving ...

DEVICE="c52b" # This is the USB product id from lsusb
DEVICE_PROD=`grep $DEVICE /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/idProduct | awk -F':'
{'print $1'}`
DEVICE_DIR=`dirname $DEVICE_PROD`

echo "disabled" > $DEVICE_DIR/power/wakeup

Then in root's crontab, I have:

@reboot sleep 30; /home/myname/bin/no-usb-wakeup.sh

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin