[kwlug-disc] Installing a laptop without a CD/DVD

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jun 22 00:48:16 EDT 2020

Just went through a full Xubuntu install on a new (to me) laptop that had
no DVD drive.

In case someone still uses laptops with DVDs and runs across this case in
the near future, I am documenting the very easy method of how to do this.

Basically, you either get a USB stick that 1G or more, or a USB enclosure
with a hard disk.
Either way, find out the device assigned to it when you plug it in:

$ dmesg | tail -20

Say the device is /dev/sdb.

Install the package gddrescue from your repo.

Then assuming the ISO image that you downloaded is
bionic-desktop-amd64.iso, then use:

$ sudo ddrescue bionic-desktop-amd64.iso /dev/sdb --force -D

That is it! This device can now be used to install a laptop. Use the key
that invokes the boot device list, and you are good.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.