[kwlug-disc] laptops with Linux preinstalled

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:17:33 EDT 2020

While I think we have a FOSS obligation to support companies like System/76
and Slimbook, I can say that Lenovo has always been a solid name in my
experience.  No one ever got fired for buying IBM, as the saying goes (even
though Lenovo got spun off by IBM years ago..)  I have a Lenovo laptop
that's maybe 8 years old (made for Windows 7, which I fixed right away),
now running PopOS, and it still hums along nicely.  I've had to replace the
cooling fan a few years ago, and I swapped out the HDD for an NVME drive,
and I added more RAM over the years.  The new drive and extra RAM really
made a difference.

Though for the life of me, I can't get Kali to install on it.   I've been
trying for years...  well, that's outside of this discussion..

If you do go with a "made for Linux" laptop, please be sure to tell us how
it goes for you.  I'm sure other folks here are thinking about buying soon
too.