[kwlug-disc] Raspbian Question

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jul 25 18:20:31 EDT 2020

So here is the situation: I have two Raspberry Pi. One is the older B model
and the other is the Pi 2.
Both run Raspbian.

The new one runs an application that uses a database and writes a lot to
the SD card in it.
Before that card fails silently, like all flash media does, I want to
replace it with another one.

But I don't want to make a mirror copy of the old SD card, because it was
created with the full desktop
Raspbian, and I want to take the opportunity to slim things down and use
the lite version on the new
card.

So I downloaded and dd'd the latest Raspbian lite image to the new SD card.

Here is the question: this has no filesystems on it, and I think that
Raspbian will ask a few questions
upon booting and then repartition the SD card ...etc.
Is this process of repartitioning tied in any way to the model of the Pi?
In other words, can I do this
process on the lesser model, then copy stuff from the higher model, then
shutdown and swap the
cards?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin