[kwlug-disc] baffled - how is this site working?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Jul 15 23:31:54 EDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 11:18:07PM -0400, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:

>Is chaslinux.com actually pointing to your web server?
>
>I see:
>
>npnijjar at nb-heartburn:~$ nslookup chaslinux.com
>Server:         206.248.154.22
>Address:        206.248.154.22#53
>
>Non-authoritative answer:
>Name:   chaslinux.com
>Address: 217.70.184.38
>Name:   chaslinux.com
>Address: 2600:3c03::f03c:91ff:fe73:e9fa

Not sure if Charles is changing his DNS while we're looking it up, but I
got different results:

     $ nslookup chaslinux.com
     Server:     10.10.10.1
     Address:    10.10.10.1#53

     Non-authoritative answer:
     Name:   chaslinux.com
     Address: 50.116.61.78
     Name:   chaslinux.com
     Address: 2600:3c03::f03c:91ff:fe73:e9fa

I get the same address (both legacy and v6) for comprec.org and
fasteroids.ca.

Apache with multiple virtual hosts will pick the vhost based on the
request url if possible. However, the first vhost is used if the domain
doesn't match. So I could point charles.chrisirwin.ca to the above
addresses, and probably get the same drupal landing page.

If you want an error page for unmatched domains (or a redirect to a
"default" domain), you'll have to make a dummy vhost with a name like
0-dummy.conf or something so it gets loaded before your other vhosts.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
  xmpp:   chris at chrisirwin.ca