[kwlug-disc] Question about transplanting linux system

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sun Apr 26 13:06:11 EDT 2020

If you have (proper!) references to filesystems/partitions by UUID in
grub and fstab, dd should work for you.
I would expect modern grub to do this already.
All you need to do is make sure fstab is using UUIDs.

I have dd'd running systems to new disks.
So long as you are not updating packages/config during the transfer, the
new image should run just fine.

If the new drive image has substantial low level configuration changes
(eg. BIOS vs EFI boot), you can
wipe out / on the new image and rsync in the existing root filesystem.
If you take special care to fix up the copied OS to match the new
configuration (eg. grub-efi-amd64 package), things will work there as well.

Friends, please do not use hardware RAID cards!