[kwlug-disc] Encrypted disk vs Encrypted Home

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 19:15:35 EDT 2020

I use laptops exclusively, I use Linux Mint all day long for my various
jobs. I have a fleet of older Thinkpads I use for each biz/client.

I grow more fearful of having my laptop du jour stolen.

I have 3 identical laptops set up with Mint 18.2(based on Ubu 16.04 LTS)
with the same power profile(using TLP).
One has no encryption, 1 has encryption only on Home, the last has the
entire SSD encrypted.
- No encryption, idle temp is 39-40C (no issues on lap)
- Encrypted Home,  idle temp is 42-45C (warm on lap but not uncomfortable)
- Encrypted Disk, idle temp is 46-50C (uncomfortable as hell on lap)

Any ideas on how to get that Encryted Disk temps down? I have the CPU
locked down at 1.2Ghz max(from 2.6Ghz), unused ports go to sleep, running
an SSD, fan is set  for aggressive blowing to reduce internal chassis temp.

Thanks,

Ron S.