[kwlug-disc] bandwidth in conferencing

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Apr 19 14:30:40 EDT 2020

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 01:17:45PM -0400, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc wrote:

> > Note that BBB does not scale that well. People on the newsgroup report
> > that it chokes around 80 users, and cannot go much above 150 because
> > of node.js .
>
> I want to note that this is again a question of bandwidth in conferencing,
> not at the pipe level, but on application level.
>
> Interesting how low level reality comes out again :) .

No, it is more than bandwidth. There are limitations on the server.

This person got 98 users, but they had no video at all:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bigbluebutton-setup/qFYzxEFxctE

This person wants 90 people with video, and kurento will break:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bigbluebutton-setup/NhUOk9tY290

This person wants 1000 participants:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bigbluebutton-setup/P3vKUoc5s4I

Honestly I think that maybe the best approach might be OBS or
something similar. You can have the OBS user attach to the
presentation in listen-only mode, and then use OBS to stream a feed to
Icecast. This is not that different than the Jitsi setup used during
LibrePlanet, but it has even more moving parts.

All I am saying is that you should test out this infrastructure well
before the event, especially if you get good attendance.

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Blog: http://pnijjar.freeshell.org