[kwlug-disc] FAANG-free walk

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sun Apr 19 12:40:27 EDT 2020

> Do you turn off your cell (screen/flip) phone when you walk around? :)

Yes. I keep it in airplane mode almost all of the time. No cell radio, bluetooth or GPS, but I do use wifi. If I want to do a web search or check my email, and I'm out of wifi range, I will briefly turn on the cell radio. These things are long established habits, so they don't seem like a burden or require a lot of thought. Airplane mode also saves me from spam phone calls and those national security alert things where the phone makes a loud noise design to provoke maximum anxiety until you acknowledge that a child has gone missing in Thunder Bay or that you should consider washing your hands. I'm done with that.

There's more I could be doing. I could install a more secure and private Android distro (one that is fully degooglized). That's on my TODO list. I could power off my phone and store it in the fridge (faraday cage) when I'm not using it, as recommended by Edward Snowden, but I'm too lazy and/or internet-addicted to do that.