[kwlug-disc] Our DNS has gone crazy

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 15 14:02:52 EDT 2020

Is there a tool that can do a website query against many different
public DNS servers in parallel?

Today all of a sudden users are reporting that
www.theworkingcentre.org is down. The site resolves correctly (to a
CNAME for twc58.dyn.theworkingcentre.org) on Google DNS, but is
inconsistent on others. Some report NXDOMAIN. My DNS (206.248.154.22,
which is teksavvy) sometimes gives me NXDOMAIN and sometimes gives me
a record (that does not look like a CNAME) for an OLD IP for the site
(50.116.60.156). That IP address has not been active for months!

Man. I have no idea what is going on or how to go about fixing this,
but I also have no idea how widespread the problem is. I checked the
official DNS entries on our DNS servers and they seem okay. I did
reduce the TTL on one domain yesterday, but that was in response to
(in retrospect) something that seems like the same problem.

Help?

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org