[kwlug-disc] Videoconference testing -- please help

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Sat Apr 11 16:39:11 EDT 2020

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 02:31:09 -0400, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> said:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:23:45PM -0400, Hubert Chathi wrote:
>> Pretty much no video conferencing system that supports a large number
>> of participants will have end-to-end encryption.  The problem with
>> Zoom here is that they're claiming that they do.

> That's a fun mental puzzle.  If we used public key encryption, it
> would still be possible in theory.  Each person uploads one stream to
> the server, the server sends all streams to all users (with perhaps
> some out of band signaling for optimization).

> Would have to trust the symmetric key with all members of the call,
> but I think it's still possible.

There is (or at least) some effort in the IETF to work on this called
PERC.

There's some information available at
https://www.callstats.io/blog/2018/06/01/examining-srtp-double-encryption-procedures-for-selective-forwarding-perc
and
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-perc-private-media-framework-08.html

AFAICT, it doesn't deal much with key agreement/distribution, though.