[kwlug-disc] CCC talk about DNS(ystem)

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Apr 10 01:07:46 EDT 2020

On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 11:59:26PM +0000, Doug Moen wrote:
> By the way, what do you use for trusted DNS in your home setup? How
> do you get trusted and private DNS service if you trust nobody outside
> of your immediate social group?

I don't understand the value of DoH.  Or DoT for that matter.

The distributed nature of DNS is its advantage.  DoH throws that away,
without adding anything... even with DoH *and* HTTPS, your ISP
still knows who you're talking to.

If I don't trust my ISP, there is VPN for that.  Otherwise, my ISP knows
where all my traffic goes, how big it is, when it happened, and how
often it happens.  And that is *with* DoH and HTTPS.

There must some other reason people are pushing DoH so hard.

- Chris