[kwlug-disc] Test 02

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Apr 7 19:19:45 EDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 02:52:02AM +0000, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:

>Supposedly, uncool Yahoo users (and others affected by DMARC reject
>policies) should get the CC and the "{sender} via kwlug-disc at kwlug.org"
>and the cool people on sobac.com and Gmail should get the same
>behaviour as before? When somebody who is on a cool email host sends a
>message we will find out.
>
>- Paul

Just to drag a zombie thread back to life...

It looks like this only applies if a domain has a dmarc policy set to
"reject" or "quarantine" (the latter based on manual observation,
somebody on this list gets this "via" behaviour is on a domain with
quarantine).

Is it possible to trigger this behaviour with a "none" dmarc policy as
well?

Arguably, it should rewrite the sender and use "via kwlug" if there is
*any* dmarc policy. The purpse of dmarc p=none is to observe what would
happen when if quarantine/reject were set, but without actually having
mail discarded.

At the moment, there's no way to test if mail will send successfully
though the list if the mail itself is handled differently based on the
dmarc rules at send-time. ex: I can't test if mail will be rejected
until *after* I set p=reject, because the list itself behaves
differently.

I'm not a mailman expert here, and most of my knowledge on the topic is
from reviewing this thread, and the following blog/article.