[kwlug-disc] CIRA Canadian Shield DNS

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Apr 7 16:18:03 EDT 2020

(Quick aside, can somebody ack the list to ensure this was received?
Particularly if you're on a large host like gmail/o365/etc? I've got
SPF, DKIM, and DMARC set up and am curious if it affects re-delivery via
mail lists)

Just curious if anybody has thoughts on CIRA's new "Canadian-Shield"
DNS?

     https://www.cira.ca/cybersecurity-services/canadian-shield

Big selling features seem to be:

* Keeping data inside Canada
* DNS, DoT, and DoH support
* CIRA being a non-profit

Their FAQ and privacy policy addresses a few privacy concerns, as well:

     https://www.cira.ca/cybersecurity-services/canadian-shield/faq

     https://www.cira.ca/cybersecurity-services/canadian-shield/privacy

The summary seems to be:

* Don't use personal info for themselves or third parties
* Queries with IPs are logged for 24 hours to detect abuse
* Specifically, they mention IPs removed after 24 hours
* After 24 hours, only aggreggate data retained

Optional DNS-level malware filtering, and optional "family" filters are
available as well. Apparently the family filter blocks Reddit (which to
be fair...). I've been using the malware-filtering DNS for a few days
without complaint.

I did have some issues confirming it was working due to some agressive
DNSSEC enforcement on my router (their non-propigated test domains are
not signed, but the rest of cira.ca is, so my router was refusing to
return an unsigned result for a signed domain). That's not specific to
this DNS, however.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca