[kwlug-disc] Subset of files in a second git repo

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:44:29 EDT 2020

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 12:00 AM Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc
<kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> The log/versioning is not that important to me. The thing that is
> important is that I will continue to update the files in main.git and
> somehow reflect those changes in the public.git. If others want to
> fork that and do something with it then they are welcome to, but my
> interest is just to publish.

Given that, the KISS approach would likely be a commit hook that kicks
off an rsync task in the background, and serve your files on FTP or
similar. OTOH, gratis Git hosting is probably easier to come by than
gratis file serving.

If your audience is primarily devs, then Git might be idiomatic
enough, and the revision history useful enough, that's it's worth the
extra effort to clone the relevant commits to a public.git repo.