[kwlug-disc] Docker repositories

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Tue Nov 19 19:37:00 EST 2019

It seems to me that docker-ce is packaged in ubuntu's deb docker.io.

I've used docker.io, cause it what salt package uses directly without a
need to run fresh sh script from url for docker-ce. The question can be
about version of docker in io deb.

I have ubuntu 18, and package is sort of recent. At least all latest
compose file rules apply. Yet, I have one machine that was able to boot
only with ubuntu 16. If I recall correctl, some extra step was needed
there to have docker.io package installed. Salt minion is one or two
version-years older on ubuntu 16.

On 2019-11-19 6:12 p.m., Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> Why docker-ce?
>
> - Paul
>
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 05:18:10PM -0500, Jason Eckert wrote:
>> My advice is that today, you should start using docker-ce.
>> The learning curve isn't difficult with docker whatsoever once you dive
>> into it and make a few mistakes.
>> But, I have to say that your intro is perhaps the most epic intro slide for
>> a presentation:
>> "Today is a very sad day; after a series of increasingly-unwise life
>> decisions it looks like I finally have to start using (and therefore
>> understanding) Docker."
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 4:50 PM Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc <
>> kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Today is a very sad day; after a series of increasingly-unwise life
>>> decisions it looks like I finally have to start using (and therefore
>>> understanding) Docker.
>>>
>>> My first question: Do I want to use the official Ubuntu packages
>>> (docker.io) or the ones in the Docker repositories (docker-ce)?
>>>
>>> My inclination is to stick with the Ubuntu repositories even though
>>> the version of Docker will be older. My understanding is that
>>> docker-ce bundles a lot of its own dependencies in the image.
>>>
>>> Are there things in bleeding-edge Docker that I care about? Am I going
>>> to get in trouble for trying to use the Ubuntu packaged Docker? At
>>> this point I am just trying to run a single Docker image (that
>>> somebody else made) on a physical machine running Ubuntu 18.04 .
>>>
>>> - Paul
>>>
>>> --
>>> Get tech event listings: https://off-topic.kwlug.org/watcamp
>>> Blog: http://pnijjar.freeshell.org