[kwlug-disc] Screen vs Tmux

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Jun 24 10:46:43 EDT 2019

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, at 22:00, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> In my newsfeed today was an article that's kinda related to this discussion:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/ssh-tmux-screen-sharing
>
> Entitled "Using SSH and Tmux for screen sharing"

We've done similar screen sharing with gnu screen previously. Joining a remote RHEL VM to a customer domain was the biggest use case, as we were able to type the commands, and the on-site staff was able to provide their credentials.

With the announcement that gnu screen was being dropped from RHEL8, I installed tmux on my workstation and started adjusting it's config. I managed to get most of the keybindings to match my muscle memory from screen, but still have some functionality that was possible in screen that I haven't solved in tmux.

So far, it seems to be a lot of extra work to migrate for little extra benefit (as a user).

FWIW, RHEL dropping support shouldn't be read as a criticism of screen. RHEL8 dropped *a lot* of hardware[1] and software[2]. I think this is an indication of RHEL support being more targeted than it does about the software they dropped -- they need to support everything they ship for years, so why ship multiple tools when one will do. Unfortunately in this case, tmux is the trendy one.

1. https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/considerations_in_adopting_rhel_8/index#removed-device-drivers_hardware-enablement

2. https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/considerations_in_adopting_rhel_8/index#removed-packages_changes-to-packages

--
*Chris Irwin*