[kwlug-disc] Static site generators in Python

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Jun 15 11:32:23 EDT 2019

Paul,

Unfortunately, I have never used a Python SSG so I cannot give you any
direct report from experience.

My first suggestion is, of course, could come to the dark side, and pick
Ruby :) (Middleman or Jekyll)

But if you do not want to do that, I would suggest trying Pelican.
https://blog.getpelican.com/
https://www.staticgen.com/pelican

I have never used it, but I have seen the name before and it has a bunch
of good markers:
* AGPLv3
* seems to have recent activity in the repo
* Github starts indicates a reasonable level of attention
* uses the Jinja2 template, instead of something weird and custom
* looks like it just uses a repo and files
* has a plugin system
  - https://github.com/getpelican/pelican-plugins

Seems like it would be a good bet to try out.

Andrew