[kwlug-disc] older Mac laptops

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 00:46:09 EDT 2019

Oh man, now I off to a big trip down that Iron Sky rabbit hole.
No worries, rabid fear of Kool-Aid, Jonestown and all that, I am Guyanese
by birth...
At my age, I am so immune to being influenced, I am most boring.
I do like to step into cult-like scenes and pretend I am one of the tribe,
I play for a while and then go home to reality, haha.

7 years ago, I bought a Mac 11" thing, turned it on(after a head-scratching
few moments figgering where that power switch was located).

> I have this self-imposed rule, I need to be able to make use a tool after
> 20 minutes of mucking around without the benefit of a romp through a
> manual. My 20-minute trip expired, I was frustrated by the experience, the
> laptop flew across the hallway into another office, that office-dweller
> cautiously picked it up(surprisingly, it still worked) and her 7yo son used
> it quite successfully for 6 years. There are at least 2 lessons in that
> experience:-) I am thinking of revisiting the Mac space(cheaply) as I think
> my anger management sessions have paid off(!) and wanted something that a
> cut above a reference Intel platform(is the Mac a cut above?)  for messing
> with FreeBSD(Xfce DE or mebbe Mate) and Debian with KDE. I just want a
> non-Wintel thing, but perhaps Chamunks is most wise in his assertion -- a
> Mac is best used with a Mac OS, use any decent Wintel hardware to mess
> around with my target OSes.

Thanks,

Ron Singh