[kwlug-disc] older Mac laptops

tomg at sentex.ca tomg at sentex.ca
Thu Jun 13 12:36:57 EDT 2019

Quoting Ron Singh <ronsingh149 at gmail.com>:

> I know nothing about Macs really, but sometimes, I feel a tug suggesting I
> should get one  so that I can feel like I belong to that most rarefied of
> coteries, a Mac user(part-time).

That tug is Apple's huge marketing money.

Someone we know wrote a book about this feeling of being part of a group.
https://github.com/jasoneckert/CultOfMac/raw/master/Escaping%20the%20Cult%20of%20Mac%20(Jason%20Eckert).pdf

Belongingness is one of the most basic of human needs.  And pride, of having
something others don't, or of being something others aren't, is the most basic
human vice.  The satisfaction of being above the rabble.

I have an Imac, and I've used Mac OS X.  I put Linux on it, which I
was thinking
of telling the group about in another e-mail, which I think you might find
interesting.

In my not remotely humble opinion neither of these computers are worth your
money.  My Imac was free, in exchange for a lot of hard computer work for my
mother, and it's still only useful if I put Linux on it.

Nothing wrong with collecting computers!  Wait until they're a fraction of the
price.

Tom