[kwlug-disc] older Mac laptops

Gordon Dey gordon.dey at happydeys.ca
Wed Jun 12 21:02:25 EDT 2019

On 2019-06-12 4:12 p.m., Ron Singh wrote:
> So, I have no Apple devices in my collection of laptops and wonder if I
> am stupid for considering the following as worthy members of any
> collection since these things apparently do well with Debian-based distros.

I have access to an old A1369 (2010) because the screen is cracked down
the middle. It cannot be "restored" any more, too old. No OS support
from apple any more. However, the firmware is sufficient to netboot,
usb/cd boot, and grok bootable CDs. So I installed recent LTS ubuntu on
it, and it runs nicely.

They're slim. And "all the cool kids have one." That's the big appeal.

The batteries are okay (1-2 hrs browsing), and the charger seems
finicky. For the buck, $500, you can buy a reasonable new laptop on
sale. Not a ROG gamer box, but fine for browsing/email/light
development. YMMV...

Gord.