[kwlug-disc] Buying a battery replacement vs. a new UPS

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Wed Jan 30 15:45:03 EST 2019

On 2019-01-30 2:58 p.m., Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> My trusty APC Back-UPS XS 1200 has been running for about 13 years.
>
> It seems that the battery is near its end of life, and I only noticed it
> because
> the upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 had hiccups in the the apcupsd config.

<snip>

> The replacement battery sells for around $104 including taxes, from
> BestBuy (offers
> expires today). Sells for more elsewhere, e.g. Staples.
>
> I need at least 5 battery backed outlets, and 780W/1.2 kVA seems to
> support the load
> for most outages. That includes the: home server, an external disk in a
> cradle, display,
> internet modem, router, and a couple of hubs.
> The form factor is slim tower.
>
> So, the question is : should I just buy the battery, or consider this as
> an opportunity
> for upgrading to a newer UPS?
> What other UPS units with Linux support do you use?

My favourite for home use has been the BR1500 series with extended
runtime battery;

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Power-Saving-Back-UPS-Pro-1500/P-BR1500G
https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-Pro-External-Battery-Pack-for-1500VA-Back-UPS-Pro-models-/P-BR24BPG

Excellent run time and decent quality for the money.

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of