[kwlug-disc] Buying a battery replacement vs. a new UPS

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jan 30 14:58:20 EST 2019

My trusty APC Back-UPS XS 1200 has been running for about 13 years.

It seems that the battery is near its end of life, and I only noticed it
because
the upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 had hiccups in the the apcupsd config.

DATE     : 2019-01-30 14:30:59 -0500
VERSION  : 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) debian
CABLE    : USB Cable
DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: 2019-01-30 13:48:57 -0500
MODEL    : Back-UPS XS 1200
STATUS   : ONLINE *LOWBATT *
LINEV    : 115.0 Volts
LOADPCT  : 10.0 Percent
BCHARGE  : 0.0 Percent
TIMELEFT : 0.0 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 20 Percent
MINTIMEL : 10 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
SENSE    : Medium
LOTRANS  : 97.0 Volts
HITRANS  : 139.0 Volts
ALARMDEL : 30 Seconds
BATTV    : 20.3 Volts
LASTXFER : No transfers since turnon
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
SELFTEST : NO
STATFLAG : 0x05000048
BATTDATE : 2005-08-06
NOMINV   : 120 Volts
NOMBATTV : 24.0 Volts
NOMPOWER : 780 Watts
FIRMWARE : 8.g1 .D USB FW:g1
END APC  : 2019-01-30 14:31:43 -0500

The replacement battery sells for around $104 including taxes, from BestBuy
(offers
expires today). Sells for more elsewhere, e.g. Staples.

I need at least 5 battery backed outlets, and 780W/1.2 kVA seems to support
the load
for most outages. That includes the: home server, an external disk in a
cradle, display,
internet modem, router, and a couple of hubs.
The form factor is slim tower.

So, the question is : should I just buy the battery, or consider this as an
opportunity
for upgrading to a newer UPS?
What other UPS units with Linux support do you use?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin