[kwlug-disc] Server does not boot after kernel upgrade

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jan 29 16:15:08 EST 2019

Over the weekend, I upgraded my home server from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to 18.04.
This is a bare metal machine, with a SATA disk.

I rebooted it then, and all worked well.

Then a kernel update came along today, so I applied it and rebooted.

Now, that server does not boot, with this kernel panic:

"Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)"
Followed by a stack trace.

Searching around the recommended remedy is this, from a bootable DVD:

# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
# mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
# mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
# mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
# mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
# chroot /mnt
# update-initramfs -u -k 4.15.0-44-generic
# update-grub2

The output from the last command is:

# update-grub2
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-44-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-44-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-43-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-43-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
  WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
done

Note the warning, but I am not using LVM.

Still, I get the same panic error upon reboot.

Using the grub menu when booting, the previous kernel version works fine.

Also, the /boot directory is not a separate partition, so it has all the
space it needs.

Any one else got a borked system after today's kernel upgrade?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin