[kwlug-disc] Docker on VPSes

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 22 04:14:51 EST 2019

I asked a version of this question during the last Drupal meeting, so
apologise for the rerun.

I am working on migrating a LAMP application -- Drupal, as it turns
out -- from a VPS on Linode onto a different VPS on Linode. (Yes, I
really want to migrate to a new instance and not just upgrade the
existing one.)

It seems that Docker is the cool new thing to use for deploying
applications. It sounds as if Docker is good for scaling things out,
and for allowing different versions of LAMP components (different
versions of PHP, for example) to exist on the same VPS when they are
used by different applications. But does it make sense if you are
sticking with a standard LAMP configuration on a standard Ubuntu
install? It might be possible to containerize this application, but
would it be worth the trouble? What advantages would there be?

I am also confused how one keeps all of these containerized images up
to date, and even why I should trust images that come from
hub.docker.com . I trust Ubuntu/Debian updates because I understand
the social infrastructure that makes them relatively trustworthy. I
also understand that I can upgrade these components with an "apt
upgrade". I do not know how people do this in the Docker world.

Help? There are a bunch of tutorials in getting started with Docker,
but not much about when to choose it, and under what situations it
does/does not make sense.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org