[kwlug-disc] OT: Below freezing cables ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jan 11 21:29:10 EST 2019

An update on the low temperature situation that I had a week ago, where the
mount
would randomly stall, or not respond to guide commands, ...etc.

I suspected that it had to do with the cold weather (around 0C, and
probably fell
to -2C that night).

After testing indoors with new RJ45 cables, it was time to test the mount
in the cold.
Ambient temperature was around -9C, and the mount housing was -7C during
the test.

Two iterations were successful: the mount would alternate between altitude
10 (i.e. it is
10 degrees above the horizon), and azimuth 170 (i.e. 10 degrees east of
south), and
altitude 10, azimuth 190 (10 degrees west of south), with 30 seconds of
tracking in
between, and repeat all this for 10 times.

What changed?
First, I used a more powerful power supply. It is a 5A 12V one, that looks
like a PC
power supply.
Second, I used flat RJ45 on both axes.

Hope the gremlins don't show up on the next clear night, nor Murphy ...