[kwlug-disc] SSH hygiene suggestion

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jan 10 11:26:38 EST 2019

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:19 AM Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 03:10:51AM -0500, tomg at sentex.ca wrote:
> I can't imagine having to type my ssh key 1000 times a day.

Me neither.

Not to mention the tens of scripts that rely on ssh access without having
to type in a passpharse or whatnot.

These would not be possible if there were passphrases on keys.

If you really want to criticize, all of those `cat` calls are not
> required, and his loop could be done with just built-ins.

That is what I thought too. The code in its form presented, is by
someone who knows very little about UNIX/Linux shells.

Another thing is the use of Python AND Perl AND Ruby, but that may
be intentional for obfuscation purposes.