[kwlug-disc] OT: Below freezing cables ...

Wed Jan 9 19:59:24 EST 2019

> On Jan 9, 2019, at 6:42 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> Ideas welcome on powering stepper motors in low temperature without losing connectivity.

Unless you’ve got a real reason to suspect poor or intermittent connectivity I would look more at the steppers and mechanicals needing more current due to stiffening and low temperature.

What is the current carrying capacity of the power supply? Can you swap out a more powerful (higher current) power supply easily? What about the stepper drivers, are they marginally sized and higher current required for stepping in cold temperatures is causing them to fault?

I have a number of RJ45 connections in outdoor settings and unless the connectors themselves are poorly made or of poor quality, I would not suspect them contracting and breaking contact.

-A.