[kwlug-disc] 2020

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Tue Dec 31 18:37:05 EST 2019

Welcome to the future, everybody.

* Replace my old MacBook Air with a Linux laptop. I don't know which manufacturer/model, though. (Apple is the past, Linux is the future.)

* Learn WebAssembly. Port Curv to WASM.
* Learn more about optimizing compilers. Add a decent optimizer to Curv.
* Learn more about GPU programming. Especially the new WebGPU standard. Port Curv to WebGPU once it becomes viable.
* Learn more about projectional code editors and visual programming languages.

Rust is interesting, but the cost of converting 10,000 lines of C++ code to Rust may outweigh the benefits. Also, certain C++ libraries I need have no proper Rust equivalent, and you can't just wrap the library in a Rust interface via C because template expansion and function call inlining is critical to the performance benefits given by the library. So I will continue to wait and see. Rust may be the future, but I'd prefer something with similar performance and safety that is much easier to use.

WASM is also not ready for prime time: I want performance equal to native code (not 1.5x to 2.1x slower), SIMD, threads, and other stuff (that I know they are working on).