[kwlug-disc] tar replacement

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 28 15:07:43 EST 2019

I am sick and tired of tar. Using it for anything nontrivial is a
nightmare, because its user interface is so bad and so finicky.
(Example: --exclude='some/path' fails, but --exclude=some/path works.
Meanwhile, --exclude=some/path/ also fails. But it always fails if it
is in the wrong spot of the command, just because there is a secret
ordering you have to remember. UGH.)

Unfortunately tar is ubiquitous, so I am not getting rid of it anytime
soon. But is there something else that is good and has a sane
commandline interface?

- Creates archives
- Allows flexible inclusions and exclusions
- Probably compresses files, although I don't mind piping to gzip or
  bzip2 or xz
- Easily available in Linux systems (ie packaged for Debian/Ubuntu)
- Friendly to being used in scripts (even shell scripts, which are
  their own abomination).

Probably I have more requirements but this is enough for now.

Maybe p7zip is the best contender as a replacement?

- Paul

--
Get tech event listings: https://off-topic.kwlug.org/watcamp
Blog: http://pnijjar.freeshell.org