[kwlug-disc] Social Networks

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Oct 11 01:40:29 EDT 2018

If you're looking for a social media application with a bit more reach,
try Friendica.  It connects to Diaspora pods, Mastodon, GNUsocial and
even Pump.io

I believe there are some people on this list who run a Friendica instance...

There are some diagrams of how the different social media applications
interoperate at https://sobac.com/wiki/Social_Media_Connectivity_Matrix
 Some diagrams are a bit old, so some apps no longer exist (Red,
RedMatrix), and other apps have grown to encompass more protocols
(Pump.io is rumoured to support both ActivityPump and ActivityPub).

Also, since ActivityPub was standardized earlier this year there has
been an explosion of other apps that interoperate, eg. Pixelfed
https://mastodon.social/@pixelfed

And this is worth a read:
https://medium.com/we-distribute/a-quick-guide-to-the-free-network-c069309f334

--Bob.